We would like to provide a one-page dashboard with a weekly summary of pertinent information for hospital executives, directors, and managers—possibly using a pop-up screen on their PCs. What metrics would you suggest we include? What other ideas do you have for communicating this type of information on a timely basis?
I like the idea of a pop-up screen that would provide the following indicators based on how frequently the information is available. Keep in mind that many other things could be tracked as well. Below, I have focused only on the most important.
- Turnover—RN, non-RN, and total (updated monthly)
- Ninety-day turnover (updated monthly)
- Staffing productivity (updated biweekly)
- Satisfaction scores by area (updated weekly and monthly)
- Budget variance (updated monthly)
- AR days (updated daily)
- Net operating income (updated monthly)
- One or several of your top quality metrics (mostly updated monthly)
- Admissions by unit (updated daily)
- OR visits (updated daily)
- ED visits (updated daily)